A question of organisation
The last few weeks have been a truly excellent time as far as my word-count goes*. I’ve been managing to write on most days, lately, with the vast majority of such writing sessions being (reasonably) productive. I’m still adding new scenes to the current draft, which I reckon is now over half-way done, and I’ve largely resisted urges to further alter the outline.
That two-week vacation is largely the reason for this, I think. Before I went away, progress on the book had almost completely stopped: I was spending precious little time on the book, and much of the time I did spend was mired in plotting uncertainties. Going away gave me a chance to really focus on the book for a while, without any worries relating to my studies or – indeed – anything at all; that in turn was what allowed me to get the book back on track.
There is just one tiny problem, however: the draft is now about as disorganised as can be.
Perhaps I should explain. On my computer, I have an aptly-named Word file called “fragments.docx”, within which about two thirds of the novel is presently contained. This file grew significantly over the vacation, where I was trying to get down as much of the plot as possible in the space of two weeks, and has continued to grow since. Several of the scenes still need fleshing out some more, and a fair few quite possibly out of order.
To put things mildly, it’s a bit of a mess.
So now, I’m looking at splitting these fragments back into separate chapters before things get completely out of hand. To that end, I’ve started expanding my plot summary into individual chapters; that way, I figure I can just assign each “fragment” to its appropriate chapter and go from there. It shouldn’t be particularly hard, if I’m to be honest; rather, it’s simply going to take a while.
But despite the disorganised nature of the WIP, I’m still thrilled to actually be making headway with it again. And unless said disorganisation causes a major problem later on, I can easily see myself running my next WIP in the exact same manner that I’m now running this one in. As for whether it does cause a major problem…well, I guess I’ll be finding out at some point soon.
*The state of this blog notwithstanding